Friday, November 14, 2008

PROUD TO BE MALAYSIAN AND THE SCOURGE OF CORRUPTION

I read RPK's latest article in Malaysia Today titled 'Roberpierre On Freedom Of The Press', and I fully subscribe to most of what he writes. As a Malay, I am not ashamed to be called a second generation migrant from Sumatra. On the contrary, I am extremely proud to be called one. I am proud because my parents have fully accepted Malaysia as their only home, and they being former government employees undeniably have made useful contributions to this country. And as for me, having served the Armed Forces for 33 years beginning 1965, I can proudly say that I have also made some useful contribution to the defence and security of my country.

I recall once of my late father being invited by his Sumatran relatives to visit the village of his parents at Bukit Tinggi, Sumatra, but he refused saying that Malaysia is now his home, and he voluntarily forfeits whatever property left by his parents in the village, to be inherited by his other relatives in the village. In fact, there is still in existence an ancestral home called 'Rumah Gadang' in the name of my grandfather, which I am told is being cared for by the remaining family members of my late grandfather. And as a second generation Sumatran migrant, I am proud of my ancestral beginnings as well as to be born a Malaysian; and Malaysia a blessed country, shall remain my only home.

RPK in his article had also raised another relevant issue; one that affects the daily lives of ordinary Malaysians. He had brought out the plight of ordinary wage earner, in this instant the wardens at Kemunting Detention Centre. He discussed the wage earned by the wardens and compared it to the general cost of living today. He summed up that there is a severe imbalance and disparity between wages and cost of living; the end result being the hardship and sufferings that these lowly paid wardens have to endure in silence. RPK is merely bringing out a fact of life, that is being kept unknown to the 'rich and famous'. This fact should rightly be a serious topic of discussion by politicians and so called leaders of the country.

Another interesting issue is a report by the ACA Director General which states that during the first 10 months of the year, a sum of RM45 million had changed hands due to corrupt practises. This I believe is merely the tip of the iceberg. It is certainly many time more, and it is not too difficult to trace the source of corrupt practises.

I am told that the construction industry is the most corrupt industry in this country, and why not ACA take a peep at this industry, rather then wait for a report to be made? Or search through the files at the Ministry of Finance of all government projects that were awarded through direct negotiation, and one can certainly find a trace of corrupt practise in the award of contract.

I applaud the ACA for their plan to recruit 5000 more staffs. Hopefully with additional staffs, the ACA can help curb the growing menace of corrupt practise, particularly among politicians and top civil servants.


CRUSADE AGAINST CORRUPTION
Posted at 9.31 on Nov 14,2008

1 comment:

maurice said...

RPk just trying to be popular by highlighting the wardern's low pay.
Actually they are not far off from other services such as the PDRM.I was told a LKpl in the PDRM is drawing close to RM2,000 a month.